Dr Oz: Guilt-Free Comfort Foods
As part of his Total Choice Plan, Dr Oz wanted to share his guilt-free comfort foods that you can enjoy while still losing weight. To share the recipes, he played a food version of The Dating Game with a woman named Alexis. Instead of picking a man, she was going to pick the guilt-free comfort food she wants to have on a date tonight.
On the other side of the curtain were three guilt-free comfort foods, and based solely on the descriptions given to her as she asks questions, she had to pick one.
Dr Oz: Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
The description given for the second food was, “People say I’m flaky but who says that has to be such a bad thing?” When asked why she could eat the meal without feeling any guilt, she was told that the food was super lean, low in fat, low carb, and filled with “succulent vegetables.”
She then asked: “I want a comfort food that takes a long time to eat and keeps me satisfied. How can you do that?” She was told that the food is notorious for lasting much longer than its fellow counterparts. You can also pack it up and save it for later.
Dr Oz explained that all of the guilt-free comfort foods fit the calorie and nutritional guidelines for the Total Choice Plan, so she could pick whatever one she wanted. She chose comfort food number one, the mac and cheese, and skipped on the pot pie and a brownie fudge sundae.
Dr Oz: Total Choice Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 C chopped onion
- 4 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 C peas
- dash of pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 C whole-wheat flour
- dash of sea salt
- 2 C almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb shredded chicken
- 2 C carrots, sliced
- 1/2 C potatoes, chopped, 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Dr Oz: Total Choice Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Directions
- Combine almond flour, egg, baking soda, & salt.
- Form into a flat oval shape, wrap in plastic wrap, & then place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Put a wide pan over medium-high heat & add olive oil.
- Add onion & cook until golden brown.
- Add chicken, broth, carrots, peas, potatoes, pepper, rosemary, sage, & thyme.
- Combine the rest of the flour & almond milk & then add to the pan, stirring until the sauce is thick.
- Divide the mixture into 8 individual ramekins or heat-safe bowls.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the crust & then cut out eight circles to put on top of each ramekin or bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt & bake for 30 minutes.