Dr. Oz: Gluten Free Recipes
Dr. Oz said Bran Appetit is one of the best kept secrets on the web and he invited the creator of the website, Brandi Evans, on to the show to show everyone how to make some great low calorie, no bake treats. Best of all, the recipes featured today were Gluten-Free.
Evans, who has hundreds of thousands of followers on the internet, said the no bake approach to food means there is no need to ever turn on the oven or the stove. She said she was a lot larger and unhealthier when she got married nine years ago and could hardly make a grilled cheese. But she started to eat healthier and saw easy it was to make easy, quick, healthy food and started the blog as a hobby, which it still is for the working mother.
Evans said she thinks she has so many followers because her recipes are simply, easy and she has pictures every step of the way. She also said she makes sure to put up all her trials and errors on the site so other people know it is alright to mess up.
As for where she gets the great ideas for her recipes, she said she doesn’t know. They just come to her.
Dr. Oz: Cheesecake Yogurt Chocolate Cups Recipe
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
- Pour 1 and 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and melt in the microwave for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted.
- Stir in the last 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and mix together until all the chocolate is smooth and glossy.
- Drop a spoonful of the melted chocolate into 8 cupcake liners. Use a spoon to spread the chocolate into an even layer and bring the chocolate up the sides of the liners to help keep the filling in the cup.
- Put the chocolate cups in the fridge while you mix the filling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with a 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar.
- Mix the greek yogurt and orange zest into the low fat cream cheese mixture.
- Once the chocolate cups have set, take them out of the fridge and drop a spoonful of the cream cheese filling into each one. Spread the filling into an even layer.
- Place the cups back in the fridge for about 5 minutes to let the cheesecake filling firm up a little bit.
- Take the cups back out, stir the rest of your melted chocolate (reheat for a few seconds if you need to), and drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cheesecake filling. Gently spread the chocolate over the filling, then put the cups back in the fridge for 5-10 minutes until the chocolate has hardened. Then eat.
Dr. Oz: Strawberry Microwave Breakfast Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 Tbsp oat flour
- 2 Tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- Mix together the oat bran, oat flour, buckwheat groats, flaxseed, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in the vanilla, applesauce, and almond milk until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. You can use other milk if you would like, almond milk is not the only options. Gently fold in the diced strawberries. Strawberries can be substituted with any other fruit you have lying around.
- Spray a microwave safe baking dish or ramekin, and pour batter into dish.
- Heat for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is set.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
Dr. Oz: Riceless Risotto Recipe
- 1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp low fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large microwave bowl, mix the oats and broth together. Oats are subbed out for the rice, which could contain gluten.
- Heat the oats and broth in the microwave for 2 minutes, then remove it and stir.
- Mix the peas and low fat cream cheese into the oats. Other vegetables, such as broccoli or diced peppers, could be used instead of peas. Put the bowl back in the microwave and cook for another 2 minutes, watching the oats to make sure they don’t cook over the bowl.
- Once the oats are as thick as you’d like , remove the bowl and stir in the rosemary, salt, and pepper before serving.
The riceless risotto recipe has 280 calories and 5.5 grams of fat. People are going to start disappearing said Dr. Oz.