Dr Oz: Jennifer Esposito Guilt & Gluten Free
You may know Jennifer Esposito from her work as a fictional detective on the CBS drama Blue Bloods. But what you probably didn’t know is that she suffers from Celiac Disease, which has changed the way she thinks about her diet. On another episode, Dr Oz talked with Elisabeth Hasselbeck about her Celiac Disease Cookbook & Gluten Free Pad Thai Recipe. Jennifer Esposito hung out with Dr Oz and made a Gluten Free Blueberry Walnut Scones Recipe.
First, Jennifer shared her serious struggles with the illness. She was misdiagnosed with everything from panic attacks to Multiple Sclerosis (MS) before doctors finally figured out what was going on in her body.
Jennifer’s Way: Jennifer Esposito Celiac Disease
All the time she spent waiting for a diagnosis, her disease was getting worse. “My hair was falling out, wearing a wig,” she said. “My skin was ashy.”
At last, someone thought to test Jennifer for Celiac Disease, and she now knows that she simply needs to avoid Gluten to stay healthy. To help educate others about the disease, she has established her own foundation, called Jennifer’s Way.
Jennifer Esposito: Gluten Free Blueberry Walnut Scones Recipe
- 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 5 tablespoons Applesauce
- 1/2 Banana
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Brown Rice Syrup
- 1/3 cup Almond Milk
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup chopped Nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl, leaving Walnuts and Blueberries out for now.
- In a second bowl, mix wet ingredients using a hand or stand mixer on medium.
- Slowly introduce milk mixture into dry ingredients, while stirring.
- Continue until you combine the wet and dry bowls, mixing well.
- Finally, add Walnuts and Blueberries into the mix.
- Separate the dough on a prepared baking sheet into 20 scones.
- Brush lightly with Maple Syrup.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until done.