Dr Oz: Flavor Boosters
Doctor Oz seems to be obsessed with TV cooks lately, and today he invited two more kitchen personalities to show off their healthy recipes on his own show. Michael Gulotta and Jose Garces shares some flavor enhancing secrets (hopefully not from Beaver Anal Glands).
For more secrets, take a look at New Healthy Kitchen Gadgets.
Dr Oz: Fresh Basil & Garlic Puree Recipe
Top Chef’s Michael Gulotta revealed that he uses Basil and Garlic in many of his five-star dishes and recipes. If it’s good enough for fancy restaurant kitchens, I’m always game to learn about it. To speed the process, he makes Chef Mike’s Frozen Herb Cubes Puree.
- 15 Basil Leaves
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 ½ cups Olive Oil
- Mix these ingredients in a blender or food processor until pureed.
- Store in refrigerator. Use to add flavor to almost any dish.
- Alternatively, freeze the puree in an ice cube tray. (The Olive Oil will keep everything tasting fresh, even after being frozen.)
The frozen cubes would go well in dishes such as Spaghetti. You just have to pop one in and let it melt, so you can mix it in. The more herbs you use in cooking, the less salt you will need or want to use in seasoning things as you eat them.
Doctor Oz: Adobo Marinade Recipe
Next up was Jose Garces, who you may have seen on the Food Network series Iron Chef. Chef Garces said he likes acidic flavors and a hint of heat as flavor boosting tricks in his menu items.
He suggested using ingredients like Cider Vinegar and Chipotle Chilies to perk up your pork or other meats.
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Cider Vinegar
- 6 Chipotle Chilies
- 4 tbsp. Thyme Leaves
- 6 cloves Garlic
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Allow meat to sit in this marinade for 24 hours for best results.
- After marinating, cook your meat on the grill or in a black cast iron skillet.
Cast Iron allows for ideal caramelization of the marinade’s ingredients. Dr Oz said these pans are also useful for lowering the amount of Iron in our meals, which is great for people who are Anemic or taking Iron Supplements.