Dr Oz: Healthy Cooking Struggles
Dr Oz shared that sometimes you have the best intentions and all the right ingredients to make the healthiest meals, but things just don’t turn out like they’re supposed to. Dr Oz said he received an SOS call from a family in Maryland who says they live with the “worst health cook in America.” He knew he had to step in and help.
Tanisha joined Dr Oz and said she had no idea how cooking had become so bad. She said she can cook rich foods, but it’s the healthy foods that she struggles with. She brought in an example of why her family labeled her a bad cook. It was a zucchini and ground turkey casserole that dried out.
Dr Oz: Celebrity Chef Lidia Bastianich
Dr Oz brought in celebrity chef Lidia Bastianich, who had tips for everyone wanting to cook healthy at home. Lidia said it’s a very corrective problem. She said the key is to use the right primary ingredients and the right meats and vegetables.
Lidia wanted to help Tanisha perfect her zucchini ground turkey casserole by sharing her own version of the healthy dish. Her recipe calls for chicken, but you can substitute shrimp as well. For flavor, Lidia likes to use fresh herbs, and Tanisha said flavor seems to be her problem. To avoid your casserole drying out, allow some of the liquid to gather in the bottom as you layer the casserole.
Dr Oz: Lidia Bastianich Baked Whole Wheat Ziti + Chicken & Artichoke Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 28-oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
- 1 lb whole wheat ziti
- 1 C grated Grana Padano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 lb medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 C fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (loosely packed)
- 4 oz shredded Fontina
Lidia Bastianich: Dr Oz Baked Whole Wheat Ziti + Chicken & Artichoke Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees & bring a large pot water to a boil & add salt
- Using a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat & then add onions & cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the chicken breast & cooking on each side for approximately 2 minutes
- Add zucchini & cook another 5 minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes & then fill the tomato can with water & add that to the skillet
- Bring sauce to a boil & then simmer until thickened, about 8-10 minutes
- Add the basil
- Cook whole-wheat zucchini until al dente & then drain & add to the skillet
- Butter or grease a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Using a mixing bowl, toss the two cheeses together
- Spread half the pasta & sauce into the baking dish & top with half the cheese
- Add the remaining pasta & sauce & top with the rest of the cheese
- Bake until browned, about 20 minutes