Dr Oz: Cheap Red Wine Replacement
Dr Oz was sharing his cheap fixes for expensive ingredients and already shared how you can use sweet potato broth instead of white wine. But what about red wine? A solution for red wine is to instead use cranberry juice. She said it needs to be an all-juice cranberry juice with no commercial sugar added.
Dr Oz had the women try to figure out which one was made with cranberry juice and which one was made with the wine. They couldn’t decide, so I’d say it was a good swap. A good bottle of of wine is $25, while cranberry juice costs just $6. You can find the recipe below, but as Dr Oz said, instead of the red wine, try swapping it for cranberry juice for a cheaper meal that tastes just as good!
Dr Oz had three audience members try her Jugged Pear. You can serve it either standing up by itself or sliced and it makes a delicious beautiful treat with its deep red color.
Dr Oz: Jugged Pear Recipe Ingredients
- 1 bottle red wine (or cranberry juice)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 6 ripe but firm pears
- 1/2 C sugar
- 16 whole cloves
- 1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg
Dr Oz: Jugged Pear Recipe Directions
- Peel the pears & cut off the bottoms
- Pour the wine (or juice) into a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add sugar & stir until it dissolves, stirring occasionally until wine comes to a boil
- Turn down the heat to a simmer
- Add lemon zest, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, & pears, making sure the pears are submerged into the mixture
- Reduce heat to low, cover, & simmer until pears are dark and tender, about 45 minutes
- Remove pears from liquid & let both pears & liquid cool
- Once cooled, store pears overnight in the cooking liquid
- Serve in some of the poaching liquid