Dr Oz: Cooking With Broccoli Rabe
Dr Oz was joined by Rachael Ray, who shared that she actually loves to cook with broccoli rabe and her husband loves it even more. Rachael explained that broccoli rabe is a little bitter and intense, but all you have to do is par-boil it for about 2 minutes before shocking it in ice water and seasoning with salt.
Rachael’s husband John enjoys paninis made with sharp provolone cheese, a scrambled egg, and broccoli rabe. Dr Oz then shared that he was hosting a broccoli rabe cook-off to give three people a chance to show off their best recipes that use the green ingredient. Robin, Roberta, and Rob were competing in the contest, and Robin was first. She shared her recipe for broccoli rabe with chicken and apricots. She loves the goat cheese, as do her kids, because of the creaminess. Rachael loved the apricots as well.
Do you have any secrets for cooking with broccoli rabe?
Dr Oz: Broccoli Rabe With Chicken & Apricots Recipe Ingredients
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 dried apricots – sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – sliced
- goat cheese – to sprinkle on top
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe – trimmed
Dr Oz: Broccoli Rabe With Chicken & Apricots Recipe Directions
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Season chicken with salt & pepper & then cook until golden brown & cooked through
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tbsp of oil in another skillet of medium-high heat
- Add apricots, pine nuts, & garlic & cook until pine nuts & garlic are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes
- Add broccoli rabe, 1/4 C water, and 1/2 tsp salt to second skillet & cook, covered, until broccoli is tender
- Add apricots, pine nuts, & garlic, sprinkle goat cheese on top & serve with the chicken