Dr Oz: Big Daddy’s House
From Energy Boosters and Shocking Anti-Aging Secrets to Food Craving Cheats, Dr Oz had a lot of advice on his show today. His final guest was Aaron McCargo Jr, better known as Big Daddy from the TV series Big Daddy’s House.
He showed Doctor Oz how to make a classic Southern staple, Chicken and Dumplings, in a healthier way that you can feel good about feeding your family.
Check out Big Daddy’s Healthy Cake Recipes.
Watch Big Daddy in his own TV series, Big Daddy’s House, Saturdays on Food Network.
Dr Oz: Big Daddy’s Healthy Chicken & Dumplings
You probably think of Chicken and Dumplings as a flavorful but fulfilling meal that isn’t necessarily the most healthy option. That may be true, but as with most recipes, there are swaps you can make to end up with a healthier result, and that is just what Big Daddy has done with this recipe.
This recipe uses cooked chicken, which is faster than starting from raw chicken. It also uses low sodium chicken stock, as well as Chickpea Flour. The results are worth the swaps, because Big Daddy’s recipe weighs in at 350 calories, compared to a traditional recipe, which has 661 calories.
The audience loved this healthier version. Maybe you will enjoy it as well.
Dr Oz: Big Daddy’s Chicken & Falafel Dumplings Recipe
Ingredients – Chicken
- 5 cups Chicken, cooked and diced
- 2 quarts Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder
- ⅓ cup Celery, diced
- ⅓ cup Onions, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, smashed
Ingredients – Falafel
- 1 Can Chickpeas (16 ounces, drained, dried and smashed)
- ⅓ cup Chickpea Flour
- ⅓ cup Onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add chicken ingredients to stock pot and bring to a soft boil.
- Mix Falafel ingredients in a bowl, mixing until smooth. Gradually add flour to reach a moldable consistency.
- Reduce heat on Chicken Stock to low.
- Drop Falafel mix into hot Stock using a teaspoon.
- Stir gently for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
It’s that easy. Give it a try the next time you’re craving a down home Southern inspired dinner.