Dr Oz: Chef George Stella
Dr Oz met the Stella Family, who shared how they lost over 500 pounds by changing their diet. George Stella has extensive culinary experience and has gone to work in the hope of helping other families make healthier choices. He is now the author of several cookbooks, including Eating Stella Style: Low Carb Recipes for Healthy Living and Still Livin’ Low Carb: A Lifetime of Low Carb Recipes. He agreed to make one for Dr Oz and the audience: the Anaheim Shrimp Scampi recipe.
This recipe uses a Stella family staple: Spaghetti Squash. This replaces pasta, which is high in fat. It’s a low calorie, low carb food that’s rich in fiber. The trick to getting it out of the rind is scraping it with a fork, producing strings that look similar to spaghetti. You can use it as a pasta swap in almost any recipe.
In fact, the Spaghetti Squash portion of this recipe is handy to have if you’re using this swap anytime.
Dr Oz: Anaheim Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Ingredients – Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
Directions – Spaghetti Squash
- Slice in half and remove seeds.
- Boil for about 25 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain and rinse in cold water to prevent overcooking.
- Remove outer skin. Using a fork, scrape strands of squash into a spaghetti-like mixture.
- Before serving, flash heat them for a moment in boiling water.
Ingredients – Scampi Butter
- 1/4 pound Butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons Red Onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon (for fresh juice)
Directions – Scampi Butter
- Combine ingredients.
- Whisk thoroughly until completely mixed.
Ingredients – Shrimp Scampi
- 1 pound prepared raw Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon White Wine
- 2 ounces Asiago Cheese, chunked
- 1 Avocado, diced
- Scampi Butter (see above)
- Spaghetti Squash (see above)
Directions – Shrimp Scampi
- Saute 2/3 Scampi Butter over high heat until melted.
- Add Shrimp and cook about two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add Wine and continue cooking until Shrimp are opaque.
- Remove heat and add reserved Scampi Butter and other remaining ingredients.
- Serve over Spaghetti Squash.