Dr. Oz: Recipe For Picky Eaters
Aaron McCargo, Jr, aka The Food Network’s “Big Daddy," shared an easy and versatile recipe for kids on The Dr. Oz Show. Recently, Dr. Oz spoke with a busy mom who needed a great recipe for her pick eaters. So it was Big Daddy to the rescue!
Aaron McCargo, Jr Cheater’s Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Aaron knew just what to do, because his son used to be a picky eater. In order to make sure his son ate his vegetables, Aaron created his Cheater’s Chicken Pot Pie recipe. You can use store bought rotisserie chicken, frozen veggies, and frozen pie crust to make this simple, healthy meal that kids will love.
The typical chicken pot pie contains 790 calories and 45 grams of fat. Aaron’s version is only 372 calories and 14 grams of fat. Sounds like a great idea for tonight’s dinner!
- 1 1/2 pounds natural cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups of frozen diced vegetables
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp salt-free chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 cup fresh frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 frozen pie crust, baked and broken into pieces
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- Sage for garnish
- Add chicken, frozen vegetables, celery, onions and stock in large stockpot.
- Add black pepper, Italian seasoning and bouillon to the pot.
- Stir and cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes. In the mean time, mix oil and flour until well blended.
- Pour and stir the roux mixture into chicken broth until the mixture is slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, then add peas and slowly stir in the cream, stirring until well blended.
- Serve in mugs and top with equal amounts of cheese and pie crust, and some fresh sage as garnish.
Dr Oz Doppelganger Rick
Later, Dr. Oz introduced his fans to Rick, who gets stopped everywhere he goes because he looks so much like our favorite doctor! Rick is a little bit shorter than Dr. Oz, but there is a real resemblance between them. Dr. Oz dressed Rick up in scrubs and sent him out on the streets, where everyone took pictures of him and asked for medical advice!