Dr Oz: Xylitol, Bones + Table Scraps Your Dog Should Never Eat

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Oz: Dangerous Things Your Dog Should Never Eat

Dr Oz said his dog Rosie is a member of the family and they share all kinds of things together. But where should you draw the line for your pet’s health? What are the dangerous things your dog should never eat?

Do you share table scraps with your dog? Dr Marty Becker is America’s vet, and he said that this practice used to be widespread. But now we know that some things are just not good for dogs. Even seasonings (like onion salt) could make your pet sick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Oz: Table Bones Dog Danger

Dr Oz: Xylitol, Bones + Table Scraps Your Dog Should Never Eat

What are the foods your dog should never eat? Veterinarian Dr Marty Becker explained to Dr Oz why you should stop sharing scraps and put up the Xylitol.

Table Bones are one meal item that is dangerous for dogs. That means emergency vet visits increase around holidays such as Easter, Thanksgiving, and even the 4th of July. Cooked bones become soft and can splinter, causing fractured teeth and other potential problems.

Chicken, poultry, or fish bones can be dangerous. Even beef bones can shatter and perforate the intestinal tract, or block off the digestive system. It can also lead to serious bacterial infections.

ADVERTISEMENT

Animal fat can also lead to pancreatitis, so don’t scrape those scraps into the dog’s bowl. Instead, choose edible toothbrushes that will be a good treat for your pet that also gives them a dental benefit for better oral health.

Dr Oz: Toxic Table Foods for Dogs

Some common foods are also bad news for pets. Grapes or Raisins can cause Kidney Failure in pets. Just one or two grapes could be enough to fell a small dog.

Macadamia Nuts can lead to paralysis and extreme pain. Three ounces of milk chocolate will not upset a 10 lb. dog, but the chocolate your pets should stay away from is dark chocolate or baker’s chocolate.

Dr Oz: Xylitol Hazardous To Dogs

Dr Becker told Dr Oz that almost everyone has Xylitol around in sugar-free foods such as gum, mints, and gelatin. It is also found in nasal spray. This is poisonous to dogs because it crashes their blood sugar, leading to convulsions and a loss of coordination.

Sadly, there is nothing a vet could do to counteract this problem. Dogs have a heightened sense of smell, so keep your purse or mints out of your pet’s reach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Human Verification: In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.