Dr Oz: Jo Frost Anaphylaxis
Jo Frost revealed on Dr. Oz that she has anaphylaxis, a severe food allergy, to shellfish and nuts. She had known about the allergies since she was 4-years-old and her mother gave her a piece of shrimp. After eating the shrimp she went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to the emergency room.
Since Frost’s job takes her inside the homes of people she does not know, she said she always has to be aware of her surroundings and she always makes sure to carry around her auto injector filled with epinephrine. She also limits some of the things in the household, mostly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Joe Frost Calling for Empathy for People Suffering from Anaphylaxis
Frost said there is a lack of education and empathy in this country when it comes to life-threatening allergies. She said she is blown away by people who no empathize with her when she tells them she has life threatening allergies.
What is Anaphylaxis?
Dr. Oz explained that anaphylaxis is what happens when the allergen enters the body through touching, smelling or tasting the allergen. The body immediately reacts, hives and rashes begin forming inside and outside the body and the throat begins to close up.
Dr. Oz said he is very familiar with anaphylaxis because he is allergic to bee stings. He always makes sure to carry around his epinephrine just in case but he recently found out about the Auvi-Q, a small device that contains epinephrine which he demonstrated how to use on the show.
Patients Say the Darndest Things
Dr. Oz has heard some pretty things come out the mouths of his audience and out of some of the kids whose mother’s watch the show but some of the funniest things he has ever heard have come patients in the doctor’s office.
- One patient tried flirting with his doctor while she performed brain surgery on him.
- One patient called in to the doctor saying she had pain in both necks.
- One woman told her cosmetic surgeon, after starting the Botox, to try not to bruise her since her wedding was the next day.
- One dentist got a call from his patient who told him she wanted to cancel her appointment. When he asked why, she said she had a toothache.
- A doctor found a few nickels in a man’s colon and when he told the man, the man responded by saying, “Isn’t change in your stool a good reason to get a colonoscopy?”