Dr Oz: Diabesity Affects Half the American Population
Dr. Oz and Dr. Mark Hyman are talking about “diabesity,” a combination of diabetes and obesity that is starting to become an epidemic in our country. Diabesity affects every other person in America according to Dr. Oz.
Dr Oz: What Is “Diabesity?”
Dr. Oz is looking at diabesity today, which is a combination of the two deadliest diseases we face in America, diabetes and obesity. Although it might sound scary, Dr. Oz said everyone has the chance to turn around their diabesity and lose 20 pounds in just six weeks. Dr. Mark Hyman, author of The Blood Sugar Solution, said every other person in our country is battling diabesity because of the excessive amount of sugar so many people consume. According to Dr. Hyman, the average person consumes 20-30 teaspoons of sugar each day. Just because you are skinny doesn’t mean you have don’t have diabesity either. Dr. Hyman said a fourth of people with diabesity are skinny. He referred to them as “skinnyfat.”
Dr Oz: Dr Mark Hyman Diabesity Quiz
Dr. Hyman created a quiz to help you determine whether or not you have diabesity. If you answer “yes” to at least one of the questions below, you either have or are at risk for developing diabesity.
- Do you have “extra” belly fat? Dr. Hyman said a good way to determine this is by standing in front of a mirror and jumping up and down. If your belly jiggles then you probably have too much.
- Do you crave sugar and refined carbs?
- Has your doctor told you that you have high blood sugar or high triglycerides?
- Are you inactive, which is defined as exercising less than 30 minutes a day four times per week?
Dr Oz: Dr Mark Hyman Reverse Diabesity Plan
Dr. Hyman said almost everyone can reverse diabesity and it doesn’t even require going to the doctor’s office. He said it is all about what you eat because, as every Dr. Oz fan knows, food is medicine. Dr. Hyman said with his plan to reverse diabesity all you need to do is make some changes to your diet and you can reverse the diabesity and take control of your health in just six weeks.
Check out Dr. Hyman’s diabesity reversing plan below:
- Get rid of foods that contain MSG – MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate) is found in many different foods, like deli meats, crackers and salad dressing. It is often disguised on labels as gelatin, yeast extract or hydrolyzed vegetable protein. Dr. Oz reiterated how important it is to read the labels on foods you are buying from the store.
- Throw out Frankenfoods – These are the foods that contain ingredients on the label you are unable to pronounce. If you are not able to read it, you should not be putting it in your body because it is probably a chemical or additive that is bad for you and your health. Dr. Hyman advised everyone to stick to products with less than five ingredients on the ingredients list.
- Eliminate dairy products – Dr. Hyman said there are 60 different naturally-occurring hormones found in milk which can increase your insulin and contribute to diabesity.