Dr Oz: Dangers of Protein Overdose
Dr. Oz is always getting emails about the amount of protein to consume and which proteins are the healthiest to eat. We all know protein is essential to a balanced diet and good health. It can help your skin look wonderful, your hair look shiny and it can help you lose weight but it must be eaten in the right amounts. Eating too much protein can put a dangerous strain on your organs.
Problems Associated with Low Protein Intake
I don’t know if this is good or not, but the problem most American’s have is not getting enough protein in their diet. Not getting enough protein in your diet can cause some or all of the following problems according to Dr. Oz.
- Muscle loss
- Slow metabolism
- Weight gain
Dr Oz Protein Recommendations: 75 Grams a Day
Dr. Oz said his new protein recommendations are based on new research that centers around a 25-gram formula. This means you need to consume 25 grams of protein at every meal for a total of 75 grams of protein everyday. This will help you feel more alert, stop you from feeling weak and helps build more muscle.
While you could just get 75 grams of protein in one meal, Dr. Oz said it is healthier to spread your protein intake over the course of the entire day.
28 Grams of Protein in Cottage Cheese
According to Dr. Oz, there are many sources of protein your may not even be aware of. Try adding some of the foods below to your next shopping list as a way to give you more protein from different foods.
- Baked Potato: Five grams of protein.
- Bison: 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving.
- Cottage Cheese: 28 grams of protein per cup.
- Quinoa: 4 grams of protein per 1/2 cup.
- Protein Bars: These are good for someone on the go but you must make sure the main ingredient in the bar is protein. You also want to find bars without any added sugar, any trans fats and and with all-natural ingredients.
Whey Protein Powder Suppresses Appetite
Dr. Oz said he starts every single day with his green drink but he his wife likes to start every one of her mornings with a drink containing whey protein powder. Check out some of the benefits of whey protein powder below:
- Gives you energy
- Suppresses appetite
- Controls blood sugar
Whey Protein Powder Guidelines
When buying whey protein powder, Dr. Oz said it is important to follow these guidelines.
- Buy organic whey protein powder.
- Eat within thirty minutes of waking up in the morning.
- One scoop per serving equals about 25 grams of protein and 90 calories
- Add to water, juice or your favorite smoothie recipe
Aspirin Can Relieve Bug Bites
Aspirin is like a miracle drug. It has so many benefits it would take hours to list them all. Check out some more benefits of aspirin you may not have been aware of.
- Bug Bites: Dissolve one aspirin in water and then rub it on a bug bite to relieve the inflammation and the itching.
- Hair: To get the green tint out of your hair after swimming in a chlorine filled pool, dissolve six to eight aspirin in a glass of water and rub the mixture into your hair and let it sit for 15 minutes to