Dr Oz: Seven Energy Centers
More than one billion people around the world rely on their seven chakras to monitor and improve health. Doctor Oz said he has seen the benefits of this eastern Indian tradition, and he wanted to share them with America.
Seven main chakras run from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. When chakras are unbalanced or blocked, you could be at risk for poor health. This could throw your entire life into chaos. But opening the chakras can put the power of your health into your own hands.
Dr Oz: What Your Chakras Reveal About Your Health
Dr Oz said that some might be skeptical of this, but the belief can align with Western medicine. Dr Kulreet Chaudhary is a neurologist who also believes in the chakras. She said that her training focuses on the organs, but not “the emotional and mental patterns associated with disease.”
Chaudhary said she learned to ask patients about their problems, which helped her realize that there might be something to the philosophy of chakras. Dr Oz called energy “the currency of life,” which is intangible.
The spinal cord is a relay system, and Chaudhary said that chakras are believed to be in touch with the organs along that spinal path. Blocked chakras could make you more prone to certain types of disease.
Take this quiz to see if one of your chakras might be blocked. If you answer yes to any of the questions, you may have an issue with that chakra in your body.
Dr Oz: Root Chakra Quiz
The Root Chakra is located in the sacrum and connected to the colon, representing the intestines. Chaudhary said this chakra grounds the body and emotions. This chakra could have to do with lower back pain, arthritis, and hip problems.
- Do you get constipated?
- Do you feel fatigued?
- Are you ungrounded or spacy?
Dr Oz: Sacral Chakra Quiz
The Sacral Chakra is next up the chain. This can cover conditions like fibroids and infertility, according to Dr Chaudhary. Dr Oz thought the uterus represented creativity; do you agree?
- Do you have problems with reproductive organs, such as painful menstruation?
- Is your creativity blocked?
- Do you wish your romantic or intimate life was different?
Dr Oz: Solar Plexus Chakra Quiz
The Solar Plexus Chakra, above the belly button, represents upper digestion, such as the liver. This chakra’s symptoms could include ulcers and gas, but Chaudhary said that emotional issues are deeply tied in here. It may be responsible for eating disorders.
- Do you have problems with digestion?
- Does your blood sugar fluctuate easily?
- Do you have issues with willpower or self-esteem?
Dr Oz: Heart Chakra Quiz
“The Heart Chakra…helps us navigate the balance between the body, the mind, and the spirit,” Dr Oz said. This chakra could be associated with heart problems, asthma and allergies.
- Do you have heart disease or high blood pressure?
- Is it difficult for you to empathize with others?
- Does intimacy frighten you?
Dr Oz: Throat Chakra Quiz
Dr Chaudhary said this Chakra is often associated with the thyroid gland, and may be of more concern to women than men. It can be tied to the throat, mouth, and esophagus.
- Do you have thyroid problems or a sore throat?
- Is it tough for you to express your feelings?
- Do you feel like your mind and your heart live in two different worlds?
Dr Oz: Third Eye Chakra Quiz
You may have heard of this one before: the Third Eye Chakra. Chaudhary said this could be tied to intelligence, intuition, brain disorders, and the body’s visual system. This blocked chakra could be behind why some women always choose the wrong partner.
- Do you have frequent headaches?
- Do you have hormonal imbalances or depression?
- Do you have poor intuition?
Dr Oz: Crown Chakra Quiz
The Crown Chakra represents the spiritual side of the body. It is more tied to the soul than to a body organ. Dr Chaudhary said that this could be behind a spiritual discomfort or confusion about the world. “It’s related to actual blocks in this chakra,” she said. Dr Oz compared it to isolation.
- Do you have trouble with your sleep and wake cycles?
- Is it difficult for you to meditate?
- Do you feel disconnect from your own body and from others?
If you answer yes to one or more of the questions for each chakra, that chakra may be blocked in your body. Find out how to unblock chakras.